For as long as my kids have been attending public school, I have fielded the repeated question of why I will not buy them those easy lunch box kits you find in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. My kids are smart. They read labels. They know to look for high fructose corn syrup as an indicator that what they’re holding may not be the healthiest of options. In short, they know better.
Despite knowing exactly why I haven’t caved to their demands, the demands persisted, growing in urgency with every renewed crusade. They would not be redirected; they would not take no for an answer. Until the day I proposed we simply make our own.
We started with pizza lunch box kits, as they were most eager to partake of this wonder first. The exact components change, depending on what’s available in the house, be it bagel thins, pitas, pita pockets, naan, or English muffins. The strategy remains the same, time after time. These are easily replicable and can be packed ahead, streamlining school mornings throughout the week.
Pizza Lunch Box Kits
- 1 Toufayan Bakeries Smart Pocket original flavor
- 2 Tablespoons pizza sauce canned or jarred
- 2 Tablespoons shredded cheese pizza blend, Italian, or just mozzarella
- 7 slices pepperoni
- Pack the ingredients in airtight containers, including a plastic spoon for the pizza sauce.
- To eat, spread pizza sauce on the top of the Toufayan Smart Pocket. Sprinkle the cheese over the sauce and place the pepperoni on top.
- Eat and enjoy.
Disclosure: While Toufayan Bakeries is one of my clients, this post was not sponsored by them. All opinions are my own.