Sausage Pancake Sandwiches will put a smile on any face at your breakfast table! As a Jones Dairy Farm Blog Ambassador, I was compensated for this post, but, as always, all opinions remain my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make this blog possible.
Breakfast. We all know we’re supposed to eat it daily. We don’t always have the time–at least, not to sit down together. I have a guilty conscience–I can’t help it. I feel bad about this rush-rush-rush mentality and I do try to compensate for it on weekends, when I have a little more time to lavish my family with love. It’s the very least I can do. They deserve it.
Sundays are made for pancakes and sausage, lazily consumed in the bright late morning sunshine. Not a care in the world. Don’t get me wrong–I love a good classic, and pancakes are certainly that. But it’s
good necessary to mix things up a bit: to deliver the unexpected, and bask in the delight in my children’s eyes when they encounter an all new way to experience an old favorite. And thus, Sausage Pancake Sandwiches were born.
They look a bit ho-hum on the outside, but what’s hidden inside is my favorite sweet with a little heat combo, that’s rich and creamy and oh-so-dreamy. You could dust with a flurry of powdered sugar, too, but I was trying to keep the mess to a minimum. Besides–these pancakes are a little sweeter than usual, making up in flavor for the lack of fuss in appearance. It’s all about the flavor, after all, and they certainly deliver on that!
The absolutely fabulous part about these Sausage Pancake Sandwiches is the fact that they’re actually a bit portable. So–if you plan ahead–you can enjoy them on hectic weekday mornings, too. Just mix up your filling, make all your pancakes, and save them for later in the fridge. In the morning, all you have to do is pop a sausage patty or two in the microwave, reheat the pancakes, assemble, and GO! Just a few minutes stand between you and breakfast bliss! No more excuses! No more boring breakfasts! No more sad frowny faces!
Sausage Pancake Sandwiches
- 2 7- ounce packages Jones Dairy Farm Golden Brown All Natural Mild Sausage Patties
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup cherry preserves
- 2 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- pinch chili powder
- Cook sausage per package instructions and set aside.
- In a small bowl, microwave the butter for 40 seconds or until melted. Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Keep whisking while adding the butter, mixing until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Portion out batter with a #40 cookie scoop, trying to keep the pancakes around the same size as the sausage patties. Once the edges are set and the top is bubbly, flip to brown on the other side.
- Remove from pan when both sides are lightly browned. You can keep the pancakes warm on a plate in a 200 degree F oven while you're waiting to assemble them.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the filling ingredients and beat with a hand mixer until well blended, then set aside.
- Spread some filling on one side of a pancake. Lay a sausage patty on top. Take another pancake and spread filling on one side of it, then lay the filling side down on top of the sausage to create a sandwich.