Disclosure: I was compensated for this post by Jones Dairy Farm. All opinions remain my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make this blog possible!
Finally, it feels like Fall around here. Temps dipped into the 30s last night and while it’s usually a bit of a game to hold out on turning the heat on until November, I caved. The heat is on. It’s officially soup weather now.
For a long time, I didn’t make soup. My early attempts, while perfectly fine to me, were snubbed by my children. It felt a bit personal, even though it wasn’t. They were excellent eaters and refused little that was put before them. But they hated my soups. I stopped putting in the effort; it wasn’t worth it for only my enjoyment.
Then, I tried again. Something has changed in my children in the last couple of years. They’ve become more opinionated about everything–including what they eat. But their palates have matured beyond their years, as well. I don’t imagine many 7- and 9-year-olds begging not only for Brussels sprouts, but seconds, as well. When daddy travels for work, eggplant is the tradition, and they look forward to it. And now, it seems they are ready for soup.
I served them this Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup last week on a weeknight as an afterthought. I hadn’t planned it for dinner that night, but it happened all the same and while their initial reaction to the idea lacked enthusiasm, their requests for 3rds spoke volumes. Leftovers were greeted with the same eagerness and were followed with a request by my son to make this more often. I’ve finally struck gold!
Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup is the essence of stuffed peppers without having to actually stuff them–something I have little patience for, even if it isn’t particularly difficult. It’s thicker than most soups, yes, but I’m also the girl who would smash as many crackers as possible into her broth-heavy bowls as a child; I prefer something a little heartier than those thin slurps. I really like the special touch Jones Dairy Farm’s All Natural Pork Sausage brings to the dish. A little twist that makes a huge difference. Enjoy it over and over again! Winter is coming…
Stuffed Pepper Sausage Soup
- 1 12- ounce package Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage roll
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large cast iron skillet, cook the sausage and shallot in the olive oil until the sausage is browned and the shallots are translucent.
- Add the peppers and saute for 2 minutes to soften them slightly.
- Transfer to a 3.5-quart pot and add the diced tomatoes (undrained), tomato sauce, broth, water, rice, and seasonings.
- Simmer for 35 minutes, or until the peppers are softened and the rice is tender.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.