Disclosure: OXO provided me with the potato ricer and zester used to prepare this recipe. No further compensation was received. All opinions remain my own.
I have some exciting news! I may not be around much this weekend because I’ll be attending Big Summer Potluck in Bucks County, Pennsylvania! Yup, my first food bloggers’ conference! I have been trying to go to this for 3 years now and finally it was my year to make it happen! I could not be more excited!! (Can you tell??)
Not only will there be fantastic speakers, like Jeni Bauer of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream, Joe Yonan, Food Travel Editor of The Washington Post and cookbook author, and Jessamyn W. Rodriguez of Hot Bread Kitchen, but I’ll also get to meet fellow bloggers whom I’ve only known online thus far. As I have jokingly been telling my husband, my imaginary friends are about to become real. Yay!
In honor of the occasion–and because they’re one of the sponsors of the event–OXO sent out 1 of 3 different kits to all attendees to play around with before the big weekend: Baker, Cook, and Cocktail Maker. Each was filled with wonderful tools of the trade–it was up to us which we would receive. While normally I would identify myself as a Baker, I actually had those items in my arsenal already. So I went for the #OxoCook gadgets, which included a 3-in-1 adjustable potato ricer and a zester. I love new kitchen toys!
The potato ricer can be used for so much more than potatoes, but I wanted potatoes, so that’s what I made. Loaded Mashed Potatoes. Why not go a bit over the top, right? Filled with cream cheese, Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, sour cream, Kerrygold salted butter, bacon, and chives, these are more of a meal than a side dish. Hearty and filling, they won’t disappoint. And they reheat beautifully–in fact, I almost preferred them the day after. Not a bad way to break in a new tool!
You may not hear much from me Friday through Sunday, but I’ll be taking lots of photos and notes to share with you upon my return. At least I left you with some comfort food in my absence!
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds red skinned potatoes quartered
- 3.5 ounces Dubliner cheese shredded
- 5 strips thick cut bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 bunch chives chopped
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Scrub potatoes, quarter them, and place in a large pot. (No need to peel unless you want to.)
- Cover with water, add a few pinches of sea salt, and boil until tender.
- In the meantime, set out the rest of your ingredients so you're ready to go when the potatoes are done (grate the cheese, cook and crumble/chop your bacon, etc.).
- Drain the potatoes and toss them into the OXO Potato Ricer, several at a time, pushing through the other end over a large bowl. Most of the peels will be removed in the process, but the potatoes will keep pushing through past them.
- Once all the potatoes have been riced, add the rest of the ingredients and stir gently--you don't want to overdo it.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to save for later, reheating in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so.