This Muffin Monday is brought to you by my new kitchen, where I am beginning to work my way around it and learning to love it. Plus it’s really nice to have my work space be in the same room as my oven and refrigerator.
We’re still settling in here–heck, we still have a whole basement and garage to move, plus some furniture and miscellaneous junk–but it’s starting to feel like home. Our home. I get a flutter of excitement and panic at the same time just thinking about it. It’s so nice to not have the thumping and bumping upstairs anymore or the smoky waves wafting in our windows. No more cigarette ashes and butts in my potted plants or other kids’ toys strewn across the parking area. If there’s a problem, it’s ours, for better or worse, and we will deal with it. I love it!
Dragging out a move can be exhausting though. Between my back and foot drop in my left foot, plus my newly-developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot, I feel like I haven’t been much help at all. I packed quite a bit initially and have done much of the cleaning, unpacking, and organizing at the new house, but it doesn’t seem like enough. I should be doing the heavy lifting, too. And I can’t.
What I can do is turn our house into a home with the little touches. Where to put the decorative stuff so it’s not so stark white and bland. How to arrange the silverware and dishes so they’re easy to find by the other occupants of my home. And baking. Because baking always makes a house a home. There’s no substitute for it.
This week, An sent around a recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Muffins from Seasons & Suppers. Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite desserts–simply classic. While this would have been wonderful with the originally called-for strawberries, I found some gorgeous cherries at the store and was compelled to use them in this recipe. I needed a baked cherry treat in my life. The cherry on the top of the sundae that is our home. Just a little something extra special.
Cherry Shortcake Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 8 Tablespoons 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sweet cherries pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cut together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and butter with a pastry blender until you get pea-sized crumbs.
- Add the egg, cream, and vanilla extract, stirring with a silicone spatula until just blended.
- Stir in the cherries.
- Using a large cookie scoop, portion out the batter between the muffin cups, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 25 minutes, rearranging the pans halfway through baking.
- Cool in muffin tins before serving.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street; a culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings, week after week.