It’s just not summer without s’mores. And while it’s technically not summer yet, Memorial Day weekend has always been the unofficial gateway to the stretches of sunshine that lie ahead.
Picnics–another essential element of summer–are a bit of a quandary for me. As much as I love attending them, I’m always stumped when it comes to my contribution. The cooler never has enough room left, after stocking it with beer, to hold the typical gelatin molds and salads that overload picnic potluck tables. Chocolate would just as soon become chocolate soup, left to its own devices. And forget about anything frozen. What’s a girl to do?
S’Mores Brownies are the compromise I’ve been looking for! No fire needed to make them–nor ice to keep them from falling apart–just the tastiness of a campsite, neatly packaged for party patrons. Everyone will scream for some more!
These come together in no time at all, which is great when you’ve spent so many hours on Pinterest searching for ideas that you’ve completely lost track of time. Hop in the shower while they’re baking and you’ll be good to go!
- 7 1/4 graham crackers the long, unbroken rectangles
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chopped
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9"x13" baking dish with parchment paper and then cover the bottom with one layer of sheets of graham crackers. Set aside.
- In a large microwavable bowl, combine the semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter and microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted (it took 1.5 minutes in my microwave).
- Stir in the brown and granulated sugars and set aside for a few minutes to cool.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time, until full incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla until well-blended.
- Add the flour and salt and stir only until just combined.
- Spread brownie batter over graham crackers and bake on the center rack in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and scatter milk chocolate chips and miniature marshmallows over the top.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- If marshmallows aren't browned enough after 10 minutes, broil for a couple of minutes, checking often to make sure the marshmallows don't burn.
- Remove to a wire rack, cooling completely before cutting.
Lest anyone believe that I thought this 3-day weekend was only for picnicking and celebrating my son’s 5th birthday (yes, that did happen! yesterday, the little guy turned 5!), I have not forgotten. Happy Memorial Day! Thank you to all who have given their lives to better ours!