After being away from the house most of the week, my routine interrupted, my refrigerator having special needs, it’s not easy getting back into the baking routine. I picked up a chest cold along the way and feel like, at any moment, one of my lungs may come up with these coughing fits. But it’s time to get back to normal. Get back on the horse and go for a ride, once again.
I did not plan on making many alterations to this week’s recipe. I wanted to ease back into the kitchen, somewhat mindlessly, but at least quite gently. But when I realized my can of apple pie filling was larger than called for (and I really didn’t want to deal with leftovers), I knew I had to make some adjustments. If I had been in a better mindset, I probably would have made my own apples for the batter, instead of buying canned apple pie filling. It’s easy enough to do, I just wasn’t ready for it yet. Sometimes, convenience wins.
Or, in other words, it’s easy enough that even the less-experienced home bakers out there can whip this together pretty effortlessly. Yay for easy!
Let’s see what An at Baker Street had up her sleeve, as well as the other #MuffinMonday participants!
Apple Buttermilk Muffins with Coconut Crumble
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 595 g can Musselman's Apple Pie Filling
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup 5 1/3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter cut up
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners, or grease thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar.
- Stir in apples gently, being careful not to overmix.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and melted coconut oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, stirring until just combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ground cinnamon, brown sugar, and coconut.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Portion out batter evenly with a medium cookie scoop among the 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle Crumble Topping over the tops.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let sit in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.