Muffin Monday is back! And I’m so happy to be baking with An of Baker Street and the crew again. 🙂
This week, she gave us Citrus Coconut Muffins. I’m sure you can already tell that coconut is a favorite. The original recipe called for orange zest, but I felt that lime was a better companion. I also thought it would be great to layer the coconut flavor by incorporating coconut oil and coconut milk into the recipe. The end result is a little biscuity tasting (though it may be psycho-somatic, given the only other thing I’ve used self-rising flour for were biscuits), but also quite delicious. The citrus zest gives it a nice zing, complemented beautifully by the more mellow coconut.
If you don’t have a zester (I don’t), just use a fine grater and grate the lemon and lime skins. It works just fine and it’ll save you money, too. Unless you’re looking for an excuse to make a kitchen purchase. Then, by all means, blame it on me when you show up with a bag from Sur La Table and your new zester. I’ll take the fall for you. I’m such a bad influence.
Citrus Coconut Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 90 grams coconut oil solid
- zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- zest of 1 lime finely grated
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup coconut milk well shaken
- 1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners or grease each cup. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon zest, lime zest, egg, and coconut milk. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar, cutting in the solid coconut oil with a pastry blender.
- Fold the milk mixture into the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion out batter into prepared muffin tray and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Bake for 25 mins.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.
Let’s see what the other Muffin Monday bakers whipped up this week!
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.