Cranberry Spiced Muffins
Recipe type: Breakfast/Brunch
- 1 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- hot water to cover them
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with with paper liners and set aside.
- Cover dried cranberries with boiling hot water and let soak for 10 minutes, draining thoroughly after.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dried cranberries, flour, brown sugar, walnuts, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, butter, and egg, whisking until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just incorporated; you do not want to over-mix.
- Portion out the muffin batter with a large cookie scoop, dividing evenly among the 12 cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients, mashing with a fork to cut the butter into it, then sprinkle over the muffins, dividing evenly.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when gently touched or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Leave in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe by poet in the pantry at http://poetinthepantry.com/2012/11/05/muffinmonday-cranberry-spiced-muffins/