If you’ve been following along for a while, then you know that the past six months were a bit…difficult. I’m happy to report that the situation is much improved–thanks to a great team of medical professionals I have surrounded myself with–and I’m finding myself enjoying much in life again. Of course, it helps that I also have awesome friends who support me. I don’t know where I’d be right now without them!
Summer! When I flip through my Timehop at this time of year, I can’t escape reminders that my last big summer I was supposed to spend home with the kids was spent, instead, convalescing from a herniated disc and back surgery. Even today, I can’t escape that, as it affects my quality of life even now. But this year will be different. This year, I will be outside more, basking in those sun rays. Getting dirt under my finger nails as I attempt, once again, to make things grow. Reading books. Feeling warm breezes caress my skin. Wearing a fatkini–in public!! Truly living summer, and loving every minute of it.
Side Delights Steamables make this all the more possible. Because they’re already triple washed, all you have to do is toss the 1.5-pound bag right in the microwave and in 8 minutes–KABLAM!–potatoes! It’s somewhat magical in its simplicity, and this is my kind of magic exactly. No dishes to dirty, no scrubbing, and no stress! I love it!
Traditional potato salad has never been attractive to me–too heavy and too cold. I had my own ideas on what makes a great potato salad and I’m so happy to share them with you today!
Potatoes are already pretty freaking awesome, but they’re even better when they’re roasted. Except I don’t want to turn the oven on in the summer, so I opted for pan-roasting…in bacon fat. Because you really can’t do any better than that. Except I did, because I added the bacon, too, as well as some Brussels sprouts, to boot, dressed in a tangy-sweet maple dijon vinaigrette that takes no time at all to whip up. This is perfection! I prefer this dish warm, but you can chill, if you prefer. If you are chilling, you may want to double the vinaigrette and keep half to add when serving, in case the potatoes sucked it all up while they hung out in the fridge. They can be a little greedy like that.
Verdict? Best Summer EVER, thanks to my version of potato salad and Side Delights Steamables! Get on this!
Pan-Roasted Maple Dijon Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons real maple syrup
- <span class="mceItemHidden" data-mce-bogus="1"><span></span>1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard</span>
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/16 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds small potatoes like Side Delights Steamables Golden Potatoes
- 5 slices bacon
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts trimmed and cut into 1/4" slices
- <span></span>In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup, combine the vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper and whisk briskly until combined. Set aside.
- Microwave potatoes for 8 minutes. Cool slightly, then cut into 1/2" slices. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate and reserve bacon fat. Wipe pan clean.
- Add 2 Tablespoons reserved bacon fat and the Brussels sprouts to the pan. Cook over medium to medium high heat until slightly charred, about 10 minutes. Remove to a large serving bowl and wipe pan clean.
- Add 2 Tablespoons reserved bacon fat and the sliced potatoes to the pan and cook over medium high heat, tossing periodically, until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Crumble bacon over the potatoes, add the dressing, and toss.
- Serve warm.