Disclosure: I developed this recipe for Sweet and Spicy Bacon, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, and Asparagus in partnership with TABASCO, who compensated me for this post. All opinions remain my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Poet in the Pantry!
I’ve been in a slump lately. Pizza took over my life–my lunch 4 days a week, my dinner for 2-3–and creativity took a vacation. To be fair, I also literally did take a vacation 2 weekends ago. But I haven’t quite managed a return to normal since then, having had my equilibrium thrown so far off earlier this month. I don’t know what normal is anymore.
The first step: bring back nourishing food. Stop buying bags of pre-washed, pre-cut vegetables only to have them wither away in the dark recesses of the refrigerator, instantly forgotten, good intentions gone straight to heck. The food waste has been ridiculous, and I only have myself to blame. So how do you trick your body into craving the foods it should consume? By pairing them with a delectable sauce, of course!
Sauce doesn’t have to be difficult. It doesn’t need to be something that bubbles away on a back burner, a dash of this, a hint of that, pieces of a puzzle assembled perfectly to create a complex whole. A sauce can be just a few harmonious friends, mixed together with a little bit of moisture, tossed with already fabulous food to make it even better. In this case, I relied heavily upon TABASCO SWEET & Spicy Pepper Sauce for the flavoring. It’s more mild, coming in at only 100-600 on the Scoville Heat Scale, but that subtlety is exactly what you need here. A bit of mystery and dimension. A bit of excitement, without overtaking the rest of the ingredients. A bit of sweet seduction.
Then add bacon. Because everything could use a little bacon.
I have eaten this dish as the main course at breakfast before, but I also eat beef stew and mac and cheese for breakfast, so maybe you don’t want to listen to me. Ha! The bacon gives you enough protein to consider this an entree, but you can also serve as a side dish at your next family meal. Bright, beautiful, vibrant green–just what I need right now. Hopefully, I can get back on course soon.
- 8 slices center cut bacon
- 8 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 8 ounces asparagus
- ¼ cup TABASCO Sweet & Spicy Pepper Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the bacon into strips and cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisped, turning often. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined dish and set aside.
- Slice the Brussels sprouts into thirds. Chop the broccoli into small florets. Trim the ends off the asparagus and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Add veggies to the pan and toss to coat with the bacon grease. Saute until warm but still crunchy, 7-10 minutes. Add the bacon back to the skillet, toss, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the TABASCO Sweet & Spicy Sauce, honey, olive oil, and garlic powder.
- Drizzle the veggies with the sauce and toss to coat. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.