I developed this recipe for Smashed Potatoes with Dill Sour Cream Topping in collaboration with Side Delights, who compensated me for this post. All opinions, as always, remain my own. Thanks for sharing my excitement for the brands that help keep Poet in the Pantry’s lights on!
Now that the clocks have turned back, I can feel it happening already: that dinner time dread. That glimpse out the window into inky night, descending upon us far too soon for our internal clocks, gripping one with this sense of nothingness. A desire to put head to pillow, and to perform as few tasks as possible. Winter hibernation will be here soon. And with it, dinner suffers, especially on weeknights after I’ve worked all day and driven the 45 minutes journey home. Can someone just hand me a warm blanket and a hot apple cider please? I’m not sure I’m ready for this.
Thanks to Side Delights Steamables, however, that’s going to change. With their bags of ready-to-steam potatoes–triple washed, so you don’t have to bother–it’s all been simplified. It sounds silly, I know. But even with how much of a potato addict I am, sometimes, the thought of having to scrub them or peel them is just too much. I can’t be bothered. It’s easier to make tator tots, right? Wrong. Toss the Steamables in the microwave for 8-9 minutes, and your side dish is done. DONE! And with 8 varieties, including red, golden, purple!, and sweet potatoes, there’s the perfect flavor for every dish. At this rate, I could be eating potatoes with every meal now!
Have you been acquainted with smashed potatoes yet? Normally, you’d boil your potatoes, drain them, smash them on a baking sheet, then bake them til browned and crispy. They are superb! They’re also a bit of a pain if you don’t like to wash dishes (which no one in my house does), so when Steamables walk into your life, you know that they’re just perfect for smashed potatoes without adding a single pot to your sink. Thank you, Fairy Godmother!
Plain ole smashed potatoes are grand, but why not spend a minute or two extra bringing them over the top? I was inspired by a dip I used to enjoy when I created this dill sour cream topping. It gets a bit of extra tang from the addition of a small amount of mayonnaise. By using dried dill and garlic powder, you’ll likely have the ingredients on hand at all times. And that’s just half the battle right there–not having to stop by the store for those missing pieces to the puzzle. In less than 30 minutes, it all comes together–and most of that is just waiting for the oven and microwave to do their jobs. Now you have time for a great weeknight meal AND to get on with your life, too!
- 1 1.5-lbs package Side Delights Steamables Golden Potatoes
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1½ Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, then take out a 2nd rimmed baking sheet and 2nd piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat the Side Delights Steamables Golden Potatoes in the microwave per package instructions.
- While the potatoes are steaming, take a small bowl and combine in it the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill weed, garlic powder, and fine seas salt. Stir well, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Spread the heated potatoes out on the prepared baking sheet, cover with the 2nd piece of parchment paper, and press down with the 2nd baking sheet, until the potatoes are smushed. Remove the 2nd baking sheet and 2nd sheet of parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and drop dollops of topping on each potato. Serve immediately.
For other potato recipes you will love, check out these blogs:
- Ricotta Herb Mashed Potatoes – Snappy Gourmet
- Smoky Chipotle Garlic Mashed Potatoes – Boulder Locavore
- Crispy Curried Smashed Potatoes – Hungry Couple NYC
- Gouda Smashed Potatoes – A Cedar Spoon
- Buffalo Smashed Potatoes – The Tomato Tart
- Loaded Smashed Potatoes – The Hungry Traveler