Disclosure: As a Sabra Tastemaker, I was compensated for this post. As always, all opinions remain my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Poet in the Pantry!
It’s almost here. The big game. You know: THE big game. The only football game I watch all season. It’s the one that counts. It has the most excitement. It hosts the best snacks.
Alright… it’s the snacks that get me. Not that I have anything against football. I grew up in a household where Sunday was game day and there was a loud commotion from the couch over every fumble, kick, touchdown, and tackle. I just never took to it, somehow. Such is the life of a drama geek and bookworm…
I appreciate the enthusiasm. The emotional attachment to one’s team. Following them throughout the season, rooting them on in whichever fashion you can. Wearing your lucky jersey so the streak persists and they continue to win, win, WIN. It’s a passion for life to be respected. And on Super Bowl Sunday, I’ll join all of you. For one day a year, you welcome me into your circle. You don’t point the finger at me and call me a poser, because we’re all in this together. Panthers or Broncos, someone will win, and we’ll all be there to witness it. It’s kind of cool, in a we’re-all-connected community sort of way.
I’ve concocted something truly different for Super Bowl Sunday this year. I have been obsessed with balsamic in my hummus lately. The new Sabra flavor–Caramelized Onion and Smoked Paprika? I take that tub, drizzle balsamic reduction all over it, and go to town. But that isn’t much of a recipe, is it? So today, I’m offering an app for the adventurer. One who has seen Buffalo Chicken in all its potential glories and wondered “Is there anything else?” One ready to move on to something different. One who isn’t afraid of fruit in his hummus. This year, I’m bringing Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Hummus dip. It defies description. It starts with the nose, and the seductive aroma of warm strawberries in the sweet acid that is balsamic vinegar. But then you take that and spoon it over Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus–an already bright dip with plenty of personality on its own. The end result will make you want to grab a spoon and just get to eating. I love it!
Have you heard about Sabra’s Buy, Snap, Score promotion yet? All you have to do is buy 2 Sabra® products (8 oz. or larger) and 2 bags of Stacy’s® Pita Chips (6.7 oz. or larger) together (a perfect combination!) before February 15, 2016, snap a photo of the receipt, and you can score a $5 gift card! Touchdown–points go to your team!!! Check out dipzone.com for more details.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces fresh strawberries, hulled, halved, and sliced
- 1 10-ounce container Sabra Lemon Twist Hummus
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, vanilla, and pepper. Add the strawberries and stir to coat well.
- Spread the strawberries out on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle any remaining mixture over them.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced and the strawberries soft.
- Warm the Lemon Twist hummus by transferring to a heat-proof container and popping in the preheated oven for 5 minutes, or by microwaving for 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon the strawberries over the top of the hummus. Sprinkle with basil, then serve and enjoy.