Disclosure: As a Sabra Tastemaker, I was given free product and compensated for this post. All opinions remain my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make this blog possible.
Can you believe it’s time for the kids to go back to school already?
This year, our schedule is completely changed. It’s the first time since I’ve returned to working full-time outside the home that I have to bring the kids somewhere other than our own home before work. My sister has moved on to her and her husband’s new business–my mom will be the kids’ caretaker this year. Watching the kids climb the bus this morning from the very same street where I spent my teen years was a little surreal. But I know they’ll be in good hands, and I’m thankful that my family has been so willing to step up to the plate and help us out. My kids will look back someday, treasuring the time they had with them while growing up–it’s priceless.
The new routine means earlier rising for me, and I am not a morning person. While I have to ensure the kids get out of bed, get dressed, and get their gear for the day, I am lucky on one front–they’re excellent at packing their own lunches. I may have to poke my nose in every once in a while to ensure they’re following portion sizes and not going grain-heavy, but my kids have always had a hand in what goes into their lunches. They’re well educated on healthy options and I rely heavily on their expertise to streamline crazy mornings. I have faith in them.
One new addition to our lunch boxes this year: Sabra Pizza Flavored Hummus. Who can resist the essence of what all kids love? Even my son, who is a little less adventurous when it comes to hummus, thoroughly enjoyed it when I made Pizza Hummus Biscuit Waffles and shared them with him. Sabra knows what they’re doing–kids will be begging for this stuff!
Sabra Pizza Flavored Hummus comes in a 6-pack of 2-ounce single serving containers, ideal for tossing in a lunch bag and running out the door, so you don’t miss the bus! You could pack a container with the usual dippers (pita chips, bell peppers, carrots), or you can spend 15 minutes at the beginning of the week being a little more creative and reap the rewards of that investment all week long.
Pizza hummus should be in a pizza, right? They’re made for each other! Knowing that even my 8-year-old can operate a waffle iron without cause for concern, I decided to build a pizza pocket baked in the waffle iron, sealing in that tasty goodness while appealing to that side of kids that can’t resist cute culinary concoctions. The end result? Two thumbs up! Pop them in a resealable container and store in the fridge for lunches all week long.
- 1 16.3-ounce tube large refrigerated biscuits (8 biscuits)
- 4 ounces Sabra Pizza Flavored Hummus
- ⅓ cup jarred or canned pizza sauce
- 16 slices pepperoni
- ½ cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Plug in waffle iron to preheat.
- Slice each biscuit in half across the middle, so they're like sandwich buns.
- Spread 1 Tablespoon hummus on the bottom half of each biscuit.
- Drop 2 teaspoons pizza sauce on top of the hummus on each biscuit.
- Lay 2 slices pepperoni on each biscuit.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon cheese on each biscuit.
- Fold over and bake in waffle iron per manufacturer's directions until golden brown (in my case, place 2 in waffle iron at a time, pull the top down and clamp it shut, then check on the waffles when it starts steaming).
- Eat immediately, or refrigerate and pack in lunch box with an ice pack for school lunch.