I bake a lot of cookies at this time of year. Most of them are traditional favorites, requested year after year. For some reason, though, not many of these are chocolate cookies. Sure, we have chocolate in cookies, like Chocolate Chipper Champs (which, oddly, have no chocolate chips in them, but make up for it with M&Ms). And I have made Chocolate Mint Candies Cookies and Chocolate Crackletops. But that’s about it in my holiday repertoire. I feel like a one-trick pony. I need to broaden my horizons.
I discovered the inspiration for these cookies on Pinterest–a pin of a recipe from She Wears Many Hats (a fabulous blog, by the way!) for Double Dark Chocolate Cookies. I loved the way they looked, but felt they needed a little extra something. Hence, Double Chocolate Cookies with Dried Cranberries. Some pizzazz for your palate.
The simplicity of these cookies really won me over. You probably have all the ingredients already in your pantry and the dough is mixed by hand–no power tools required. (Alright, I lied. You need a microwave. But you don’t really need a microwave, because you can still melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove. And my stove is gas, so I don’t count that as a power tool!) After the melted butter and cocoa are whisked together, this would make a great project to share with your kiddos. They can do most of the work themselves–just think of how accomplished they’ll feel! What a great way to spend the time leading up to the holidays, baking with your family.
- ¾ cup (12 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large cage free eggs
- 1¾ cups dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a 2-quart microwavable bowl in the microwave (I heated for about 1 minute at full power and swirled to melt the rest of the butter after I took it out of the microwave).
- Whisk in the cocoa powder until smooth, then set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the flour and mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
- Portion out dough with a #40 cookie scoop, baking only 6 cookies at a time to leave enough room for spreading.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until firm around the edges.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.