Today, I am thankful it’s Muffin Monday.
Gather round the family table and grab a muffin before they’re gone–they surely will not last for long! Tart and sweet, soft and crunchy, balance is achieved in a single baked good. They also freeze really well if you have issues with willpower.
There is a cure for the case of “The Mondays,” and this is it! (Now I just need to get through Tuesday… Wednesday… Thursday…)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
- hot water to cover them
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ½ cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with with paper liners and set aside.
- Cover dried cranberries with boiling hot water and let soak for 10 minutes, draining thoroughly after.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dried cranberries, flour, brown sugar, walnuts, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk, butter, and egg, whisking until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just incorporated; you do not want to over-mix.
- Portion out the muffin batter with a large cookie scoop, dividing among the 12 cups evenly.
- In a small bowl, toss together the topping ingredients and then sprinkle over the muffin batter, dividing evenly.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when gently touched or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Leave in muffin tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.