Magic Cookie Bars grace just about every holiday table, desirable not only because they’re very quick and easy to assemble, but also because the blending of flavors is pretty darn fantastic. Whether you call them Hello Dolly Bars, 7-Layer Bars, or Magic Cookie Bars, the base is pretty much the same: butter, graham cracker crumbs, chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, and sweetened condensed milk.
This base leaves room for infinite possibilities in variations, thankfully, so you can change them up depending upon your mood. Key Lime Pie is a new one for me, though!
My husband thought this was a bit too strong, but I felt it was perfect and paired quite well with the Chardonnay that accompanied them last night. Maybe too well… Key Lime Pie in a hand-held form with a little bit of a kick, thanks to the white chocolate chips and almonds. Impressive!
- ½ cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2½ cups Nilla wafers (roughly), finely crushed
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 15-ounce can organic sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup fresh or bottled key lime juice (if using the latter, Nellie & Joe’s brand is very good)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips (go with real white chocolate, not artificially flavored!)
- 1 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the butter in the bottom of a brownie pan and put it in the oven while it’s preheating to melt. Be careful not to burn it.
- Sprinkle the Nilla wafer crumbs over the melted butter and mix it up, then press into the pan to create the base layer crust.
- Sprinkle the 1 cup coconut over the crust evenly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice until well blended.
- Drizzle ⅓ the sweetened condensed milk mixture over the coconut.
- Sprinkle the white chocolate chips and then the almonds over that. Press down to spread evenly.
- Drizzle the rest of the sweetened condensed milk mixture.
- Sprinkle the ½ cup coconut over that, pressing down a bit so it doesn’t fall off after baking.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Meal Planning Magic‘s 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats gets you ready with plenty of ideas for your Christmas festivities! If you’re a blogger and want to join in on the fun, check out this post for the form to fill out to start baking along with us! And don’t forget to follow our Pinterest board to keep track of all the yummy recipes.