Monday, Monday… Never the same without a muffin in hand and a coffee in the other!
This week, An of Baker Street chose Martha Stewart’s Chunky Apple Muffins as our starting point. I love apples, but I have an overabundance of peaches right now–thanks to one of my co-workers, who has some peach trees producing in overdrive!–so I swapped out the apple for peach, and the results were amazing! My son, who is quite picky at 5 years old, usually turning his nose up at my Muffin Monday creations, couldn’t wait to have another…and another. This may be his favorite Muffin Monday recipe yet!
Otherwise, things are just peachy here. More packing and purging at the apartment. More cleaning up after 10.5 years of living in one place, the place where we evolved from a newlywed couple to a family of four plus our dog. 700 square feet of space, our swaddling blanket thus far. It’s time to break out of the blanket, stretch our arms and legs, and walk out into the world. Finally!
Peach muffins like this–they give you the energy to do amazing things!
- 3-4 small ripe peaches, washed
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon plus 2 pinches kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 8 Tablespoons (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 16 muffins cups with paper liners and set aside.
- Cutting around the pit, section off one peach and cut it into thin slices. The remaining peaches should be pitted and diced, equaling about 1 cup once cut. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, and buttermilk.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
- Add the diced peaches and chopped pecans and stir gently.
- Using a large cookie scoop, portion out the batter, filling the muffin cups ¾ full.
- Arrange peach slices over the surface of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges and the middle springs back after gently touched.
- Cool in muffin tins for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street: a culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings, week after week.