After fighting a stomach bug for the last couple of days, I needed something simple to hop back on the baking wagon with. These cookies were just the ticket!
I came across them while flipping through my copy of Bon Appetit Desserts. And what a gorgeous cookbook it is! Over 600 pages of recipes with some illustrations and photographs interspersed throughout it. It’s a true treasure trove of dessert recipes! Thank goodness for TJ Maxx… I scored this find for $12.99 there!
My daughter said these were so good that they should be called Chunky Awesome. Catchy, eh? Alright, maybe not. But it was so cute how inspired she looked when she ran into my room to tell me her idea; I couldn’t dismiss it. Have a couple bites of Chunky Awesome today–they’ll surely bring a smile to your face!
- ½ cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1⅔ cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup dark raisins
- ½ cup chopped pecans, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take out two nonstick cookie sheets and put them aside.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices, beating until just incorporated.
- Mix in the oats, raisins, and pecans.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets, spacing 2″ apart.
- Baking for about 12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Leave on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.