I did it! I did it! I finally managed to get a Muffin Monday post ready in time for Monday! Woohoo! Let’s celebrate!
With some muffins, of course. The original recipe An sent out was for Apricot Oatmeal Muffins. But I’m really not much of a fan of apricots, so I knew right away where my big adaptation would be. I subbed dried cherries instead, swapped some of the flour for whole wheat pastry flour, and changed the orange zest over to lime.
They’re not bad. But they seem to be lacking…something. Maybe they needed more lime zest? Maybe some spice? Maybe you have a suggestion? In any case, they’re definitely not overly sweet, which is good in a muffin, I suppose. They’re not cupcakes, after all.
The nice thing is that by making mini-muffins this time, I have a TON of them to share. Or pop in the freezer to have at the ready for a quick breakfast. A short zap in the microwave or half a toast cycle in the toaster oven and they’ll be just like new.
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped dried cherries
- ½ cup (8 Tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 6-8 pieces
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- zest of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 2 mini-muffin pans with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another large bowl, combine the oats, dried cherries, butter, and boiling water; stir until butter is melted.
- Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in eggs, milk, and lime peel.
- Stir the oatmeal mixture into the flour mixture and gently combine until just moistened.
- Using a small cookie scoop, portion out batter into prepared cups, filling each about ⅔ of the way (one scoop should do it).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pans before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Don’t forget to check out the other Muffin Monday interpretations this week!