Muffin Monday is back! And I’m so happy to be baking with An of Baker Street and the crew again.
This week, she gave us Citrus Coconut Muffins. I’m sure you can already tell that coconut is a favorite. The original recipe called for orange zest, but I felt that lime was a better companion. I also thought it would be great to layer the coconut flavor by incorporating coconut oil and coconut milk into the recipe. The end result is a little biscuity tasting (though it may be psycho-somatic, given the only other thing I’ve used self-rising flour for were biscuits), but also quite delicious. The citrus zest gives it a nice zing, complemented beautifully by the more mellow coconut.
If you don’t have a zester (I don’t), just use a fine grater and grate the lemon and lime skins. It works just fine and it’ll save you money, too. Unless you’re looking for an excuse to make a kitchen purchase. Then, by all means, blame it on me when you show up with a bag from Sur La Table and your new zester. I’ll take the fall for you. I’m such a bad influence.
- 2½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 90 grams coconut oil, solid
- zest of 1 lemon, finely grated
- zest of 1 lime, finely grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup coconut milk, well shaken
- ⅓ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners or grease each cup. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon zest, lime zest, egg, and coconut milk. Set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar, cutting in the solid coconut oil with a pastry blender.
- Fold the milk mixture into the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, portion out batter into prepared muffin tray and sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Bake for 25 mins.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm.
Let’s see what the other Muffin Monday bakers whipped up this week!
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.