Time to get up out of bed, sleepy head, and beat those Monday blahs! Turn that alarm clock off–no snooze button for you!–roll on out of bed, and rub the sleep from your eyes. Another day has dawned!
Oh wait, it’s a holiday. Nevermind.
Sorry about that… But these muffins will make it all better–I promise! Bake them today and you’ll be ready for what the rest of the week throws at you. Maybe you’ll even be able to cut your coffee consumption down to one IV bag instead of two or three. You can pretend you’re eating dessert and that the worst of the day is already behind you. Then, with confidence that can’t be beat, you’ll win over the day and make it your … prisoner.
Or is that take no prisoners?
I think I need another muffin…
- 350g/12oz all purpose flour (I used 9oz all purpose/3oz white whole wheat)
- 1½ Tbsp baking powder
- 140g/5oz caster/superfine sugar (I used ground vanilla sugar)
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp orange blossom water
- 250ml/9fl oz whole milk
- 85g/3oz/6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 175g/6oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp caster/superfine sugar (I used ground vanilla sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/395 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cups and set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then stir in the 1st measurement of sugar and salt.
- Beat the eggs, orange blossom water, and milk together in another bowl, then stir in the butter and gently mix into the dry ingredients to make a loose, slightly lumpy mixture. Do not overmix or the muffins will be tough.
- Using a silicone spatula, mix together the cream cheese and sugar for the filling.
- Half-fill the paper cups with the muffin mixture. Top with a teaspoon of sweet cheese, then spoon over the remaining muffin mixture to cover and fill the muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until well risen and golden on top.
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.