Quiet Continues

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, it’s been quieter than usual around here. In my previous posts, I explained that I had been going through some serious back pain issues that rapidly intensified last week. After seeing both a chiropractor and orthopedist, I had an MRI done this Monday. Both believed that there was a disc compression/herniation in my lower back that was the root of my sciatica–and both were optimistic that it could be dealt with non-surgically, as 90% of sciatica issues resolve on their own with time and rest.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. My MRI showed what was, in my orthopedist’s own words, “the biggest disc herniation [he had] ever seen.” I guess when I go out, I do it with a flourish. Since I was already numb in my left foot and had nerve issues down my left leg, he was concerned about permanent damage and potential paralysis to my nether regions if he did not act fast. Next thing I knew, I was signing a consent form to have surgery performed only 5 hours later. It was a whirlwind affair.

At 6PM on Tuesday, I had a discectomy performed on the L5/S1 region of my spine. My orthopedist removed a portion of herniated disc that measured about 6mm–3 times the usual disc herniation seen. I spent the night in the hospital and was discharged on Wednesday with orders of no heavy lifting and no housework for a month.

So that’s where I stand right now–or maybe I should say “lie”? I’m getting around better than I was just a couple days ago and while there is soreness where the 2-inch incision is, it is nothing compared to what I endured for the week preceding. Then again, the Percocet may be helping with that. My leg-drop/foot-drop is still significant and the orthopedist is not sure if the feeling will fully return to my left leg. I may also require a spinal fusion eventually due to the large portion of my disc that had to be removed. But it is what it is and I am grateful to have my health even somewhat restored.

What this means for the blog is that it will remain a little quieter for the next week or two. The food in the hospital was nothing to write home about. I can’t exactly be throwing around my Le Creuset pots and pulling out my mixer right now either. I do plan on working on some cooperative projects with The Big Guy, though. It’s so difficult to stay out of the kitchen anyway! But I need a couple more days of rest before I’ll be ready for that.

Thank you for all your understanding and support. And I hope to see you in the pantry again soon!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


  1. Sorry to hear about your back, but so glad the pain is lessened! I hope you have some good “nurses” over there 😉

    If there was no risk, I would say it’s time for a whipped cream vodka drink!

    1. It’ll be a couple weeks before I can have a drink, but I’m okay with that. It’s so weird not being the one to take care of everything. That’s my job!

  2. So sorry to read about this, take your time to heal and relax! xoxo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.