I’m ready for spring. More than ready. Last year, we were already seduced by 70- to 80-degree days, warm sunshine, and gentle breezes, beckoning one to spend an entire afternoon reading on the garden bench. This year? Temps remain in the 40s to 50s and strong winds push one back inside the home seeking shelter. In short: this spring sucks.
Despite the weather’s reluctance to fulfill my desires, my appetite is already changing. The preference for lighter-tasting, summer sweets to the heavy winter fare is developing, and I find myself craving some of my favorite summer-time snacks.
Like ambrosia. Food of the gods.
Though I doubt the gods ate much whipped topping. Or marshmallows, for that matter. Certainly not the kind from a grocery store. Maybe their worshipers made them little homemade ones, working themselves weary from all the hand-beating that would have been required…
Alright, maybe not.
Still, ambrosia will always have a place at every picnic table. And today, while the clouds steal the brilliance from the sun, and the winds insist upon blowing my hair in my face, I will eat some and be okay. It’ll be summer before we know it.
- 1 8-ounce tub of whipped topping, thawed
- 2 11-ounce cans of mandarin oranges in pear juice, drained well
- 1 20-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- Dump all the above in a bowl and mix.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.