I know I said I don’t make New Year’s Resolutions–which is true, I don’t. I don’t wait for the beginning of a new year to make changes in my life–I’m in a constant state of flux. But I do have some goals–some things I’d like to accomplish–that aren’t really changes, but more of a bucket list for the year.
- Crème brûlée. Now that I have my own kitchen torch, I can do it! I used to do the brûlée-ing in preparation for the display case when I worked as a baker’s assistant for my aunt at Bantam Bread Company, but I only worked there for 8 weeks and that was 12 years ago. Yikes! Has it really been that long?
- Dacquoise. I’m very intimidated–but very intrigued.
- Croissants. I’ve known since French class in high school that this involves a lot of butter and a lot of kneading. I may never eat them again after this, but I’ve always wanted to make them. This year, I shall. And I promise I won’t try to cheat by using the dough cycle on the bread machine somehow. 😉
- Cake decorating. I hate it. I’d rather focus on flavor than presentation, but I really should work on this. If nothing else, I have 2 kids’ + hubby’s birthdays for practice.
- Pasta. This is a bit ambitious since I currently own nothing that would aid in this, other than my KitchenAid mixer that will accept attachments, but lacks them entirely. Since I’m not exactly a fan of cooking (funny since I LOVE baking), pasta is eaten fairly frequently around here. I should probably figure out how to make it other than by dumping a box into boiling water, even if it’s only one time.
- Sourdough. I tried once before–even harvested a wild yeast for my starter–but I neglected it in the back of the fridge and killed the poor thing off. Sort of like what I did to my kombucha. And all my plants.
A pretty respectable list. I think I can do this!